Sunday, September 06, 2009

Consumers required to make sure they are paying sales tax?

Today at PAX (gaming convention in Seattle, WA) I bought some glasses that are supposed to reduce eye strain (I'll give a review later after I've thoroughly tried them out).  When I bought them, they didn't charge me sales tax. That got me wondering. There is no way that the government would consider these potentially snake oil glasses a 'necessary/non taxable' item (like food).  And this was being sold in Washington, so they can't circumvent the sales tax by saying it was out of state. The only thing i can think of is conventions having special rules on sales taxes.

Does anyone know if I, as the consumer, am required to ask these questions to make sure these guys aren't cheating the system?  I know no one reads this blog, but that's kind of why I'm asking this now. I'm hoping to get my answer after the statute of limitations is up on prosecuting me. Just in case that I am, in fact, admitting to an offense ;^)

No comments: